These Irish Film trivia questions first appeared in the various MovieExtras.ie Newsletter I put together in 2012.
1) Irish Actor (and sometime rugby player!) Richard Harris died in 2002, do you know who unveiled the bronze statue to him in Kilkee, Co. Clare in 2006?
2) Guess the film from this clue? “Cillian laps up role”?
3) In the late 1980s which Production Company successfully spent three times its production budget to get their Irish made film noticed by the Academy Awards?
4) True Or False? The scene from Veronica Guerin where she dances with her family to “Everlasting Love” was added in on the spot by Cate Blanchett.
5) Can you guess the film? “Every man dies, not every man really lives.”
6) What part of Gerard Butler’s costume caused Hilary Swank to be hospitalised briefly during the filming of P.S. I Love You?
7) Irish Director Pat O’Connor (Dancing at Lughnasa, Circle of Friends, The ballroom of Romance etc.) is married to Mary. How is Mary better known?
8) This line is from what film? “If I were in America I could say “I love you, Dad”, the way they do in the films. But in Limerick they’d laugh at you. In Limerick you are only allowed to say you love God, and babies, and horses that win. Anything else is softness in the head.”
9) Which 1993 Irish box office success’s tickets were issued with a glossary in the U.S.?
10) Which classic 1940’s movie was treated so harshly by the Irish Censorship Board that most Irish viewers seeing it for the first time may not have realised that there was meant to be a romance between the leads?
Watch out here come the A’s
1) Russel Crowe
2) Breakfast On Pluto
3) Ferndale Films, Granada Television & Radio Telefís Éireann (RTÉ) for My Left Foot
6) His Braces.
7) Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
8) Angela’s Ashes
9) The Snapper
Thanks to Tom Dowling for his insights, I have replaced question six!